Kash for Keven

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kash for Keven

[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]The fundraiser for senior Keven Nguyen just concluded. Nguyen was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma cancer two months ago. This cancer starts in the lymph nodes when tumors form in the lymphatic system from lymphocytes, a type of white blood cells. After seeking care near home, the family decided it was best to seek treatment at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Tennessee. The hospital does not charge any family for treatment, ensuring that the sole focus is curing the child.

Because Nguyen is actively involved in Technology Student Association, teacher Dale Rodgers took the initiative to raise money for medical and family expenses. The expenses include transportation, food and lodging.

“I’m devastated for him and his family, especially [since] it’s his senior year and he’ll be graduating in two weeks and it’s just heartbreaking,” Rogers said. “He’s a member of TSA so naturally we organized something.”

Non-Hodgkins lymphoma cancer is very common, and accounts for 4 percent of all cancers. In 2015, it is estimated that 71,850 people will be diagnosed with this cancer. On average, 2.1 percent of all people will be diagnosed in their lifetime.

Currently, Nguyen’s father is staying with him in Tennessee, and his mother is staying in Carrollton with brother, Kerry Nguyen who is also a senior. According to Kerry, Keven will not be attending graduation.

“It’s just different.” Kerry said. “I’ve never had this experience in my life before. It’s hard to adapt to living without my dad and my brother right now. We just use FaceTime pretty often.”

The amount that Rodgers hoped to raise is $5,000, but the student body surpassed that by donating $5,071, which will go directly to the Nguyen family.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_raw_html]JTNDc2NyaXB0JTIwaWQlM0QlMjJpbmZvZ3JhbV8wX2VzdGltYXRlZF9udW1iZXJfb2ZfY2FzZXNfdGhhdF93aWxsX2JlX2RpYWdub3NlZF9pbl8yMDE1JTIyJTIwc3JjJTNEJTIyJTJGJTJGZS5pbmZvZ3IuYW0lMkZqcyUyRmVtYmVkLmpzJTNGdGZnJTIyJTIwdHlwZSUzRCUyMnRleHQlMkZqYXZhc2NyaXB0JTIyJTNFJTNDJTJGc2NyaXB0JTNFJTNDZGl2JTIwc3R5bGUlM0QlMjJ3aWR0aCUzQTEwMCUyNSUzQmJvcmRlci10b3AlM0ExcHglMjBzb2xpZCUyMCUyM2FjYWNhYyUzQnBhZGRpbmctdG9wJTNBM3B4JTNCZm9udC1mYW1pbHklM0FBcmlhbCUzQmZvbnQtc2l6ZSUzQTEwcHglM0J0ZXh0LWFsaWduJTNBY2VudGVyJTNCJTIyJTNFJTNDYSUyMHRhcmdldCUzRCUyMl9ibGFuayUyMiUyMGhyZWYlM0QlMjJodHRwcyUzQSUyRiUyRmluZm9nci5hbSUyRmVzdGltYXRlZF9udW1iZXJfb2ZfY2FzZXNfdGhhdF93aWxsX2JlX2RpYWdub3NlZF9pbl8yMDE1JTIyJTIwc3R5bGUlM0QlMjJjb2xvciUzQSUyM2FjYWNhYyUzQnRleHQtZGVjb3JhdGlvbiUzQW5vbmUlM0IlMjIlM0VFc3RpbWF0ZWQlMjBudW1iZXIlMjBvZiUyMGNhc2VzJTIwdGhhdCUyMHdpbGwlMjBiZSUyMGRpYWdub3NlZCUyMGluJTIwMjAxNSUzQyUyRmElM0UlMjAlN0MlMjAlM0NhJTIwc3R5bGUlM0QlMjJjb2xvciUzQSUyM2FjYWNhYyUzQnRleHQtZGVjb3JhdGlvbiUzQW5vbmUlM0IlMjIlMjBocmVmJTNEJTIyaHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZpbmZvZ3IuYW0lMjIlMjB0YXJnZXQlM0QlMjJfYmxhbmslMjIlM0VDcmVhdGUlMjBpbmZvZ3JhcGhpY3MlM0MlMkZhJTNFJTNDJTJGZGl2JTNF[/vc_raw_html][/vc_column][/vc_row]

About the Writer
Hannah Arnold, Managing Editor

Senior Hannah Arnold is the managing editor and opinion editor. This is her third year on staff. Along with writing, Hannah enjoys being outside and spending...