Holes, rips and stretched out fabrics are often costly mishaps with clothing that can easily be fixed. While the Costume Design class mainly uses sewing to make extravagant outfits for productions, sewing is a useful and practical skill to know. Here is some basic information on this thrifty skill:
-Sharp sewing scissors
– Sewing machine or needle and thread
1. Take a large thread and pull it through the eye of the needle. Tie a knot at the end of the thread. The same knot you use to tie your shoes should work.
2. Using the needle and thread begin by making small stitches across the parts you want to join together. Make the stitches as close as possible.
4. Cut off the end of the thread and excess fabric.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 as needed.
-Sew with the right sides of the fabric facing together for a clean finish.
-Use the edge of the scissors to push out corners.