Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

“Fortnite OG:” Dropping back into chapter one

%E2%80%9CFortnite%E2%80%9D+brought+back+its+original+map+and+weapon+pool+to+the+game.+This+allowed+players+to+relive+their+nostalgia+one+last+time+in+%E2%80%9CFortnite%3A+OG.%E2%80%9D+
Photo via IGN
“Fortnite” brought back its original map and weapon pool to the game. This allowed players to relive their nostalgia one last time in “Fortnite: OG.”

The worldwide, sensational battle royale game, “Fortnite,” brought back all of the original items and the map on Nov. 3. 

As someone who has been playing since the game first came out, this has been a long time coming. For almost all teenagers, hopping into “Fortnite’s” world of scattered guns, material gathering and building in hopes of being the last one remaining is a universal experience. The atmosphere and gameplay were identical to what it once was, and it was a great experience to revisit my childhood while playing the game. 

“Fortnite” has had an ever-evolving world since 2017. The game is also known for its collaborations with companies such as Marvel and celebrities such as Travis Scott and Ariana Grande.

The changes have been mostly positive, but the game is naturally prone to having “prime” seasons, where one section of the game is more preferred by fans. Players have not received a prime season since chapter three, season one. The largest prime time for the game was chapter one, spanning from 2017-2020.

The “OG” season, not belonging to a specific numbered chapter, has raised player count above other video games that are usually at the top of the charts, such as “Counter Strike 2” and “League of Legends.”

As someone who played both the new and old seasons, I’ve now had a chance to reconnect with friends to celebrate the return. I was able to share the universal experience of strategy planning and deciding where to drop once more. “Fortnite” felt like what it once was, and it does not disappoint at all.

The only issue I have with the game is that the “OG” season is going away on Dec. 2. There is an obvious solution to this — make it a permanent mode for players. After community members asked for a game mode without building, the parent company of “Fortnite,” Epic Games, made a “Zero Build Mode” where the building mechanic had no part in the battles. It wouldn’t be too hard for Epic Games to simply make an “OG mode” permanent, and the player count would still stay high, earning revenue for the company in return.

However, I would be surprised if they ended up making it permanent, but I seriously think it would be a great idea. I have no intention of playing “Fortnite” after it reverts back to normal; the same goes for the squad I’ve been playing with. For what it was worth, the game definitely fulfilled its promise to bring nostalgia to its players, but at the same time, I am disappointed with its limited-time offer.