Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
Latin club students pose with their awards from their Junior Classical League state competition this past weekend on April 6th. Eight students from the school’s Latin club participated in events and four advanced to nationals.
Latin club students place at state convention
Gavin Lambert, Reporter • April 12, 2024

Latin club students participated in the Junior Classical League (JCL) state competition this past weekend on April 5-7. Eight students from the...

Conan Gray has experimented with different styles of music, and his release of “Found Heaven” on April 5 was his transition to feel-good pop music.
Conan Gray’s “Found Heaven” is revolutionary
Peyton Kuschmeider, Multimedia Editor • April 12, 2024

When I first started listening to Conan Gray back in 2020, I fell in love with his soothing melodies and melancholy lyrics of “Sunset Season”...

Opinion: Video games should downsize their budgets
Alexander Cha, Reporter • April 11, 2024

With the advancement of the video game industry, game development has become increasingly more expensive and time-consuming. Video games budgets...

Weather

• 3 AM
    64 °
  • 4 AM
    63 °
  • 5 AM
    62 °
  • 6 AM
    62 °
  • 7 AM
    63 °
  • 8 AM
    64 °
  • 9 AM
    66 °
  • 10 AM
    69 °
  • 11 AM
    72 °
  • 12 PM
    75 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    81 °
  • 4 PM
    81 °
  • 5 PM
    81 °
  • 6 PM
    79 °
  • 7 PM
    77 °
  • 8 PM
    76 °
  • 9 PM
    74 °
  • 10 PM
    73 °
  • 11 PM
    72 °
  • 12 AM
    71 °
  • 1 AM
    70 °
  • 2 AM
    69 °
  • 3 AM
    68 °
April 14
82°/ 62°
Sunny
April 15
80°/ 65°
Patchy rain nearby
April 16
84°/ 66°
Patchy rain nearby
Print Edition

Top five classic rom-coms

Siya Patel
With the resurgence of the genre and Valentine’s Day coming up, here are my top five favorite classic rom-coms.

Recently, there has been a resurgence of rom-coms in the film industry. People are starting to appreciate the genre that gained its popularity in the late 80s to the early 2000s. Public opinions on this genre have always fluctuated, but seeing it gain its popularity again is thrilling.

Whenever I have a movie night with my sister, we go back and forth on what movie we should watch. In the end, we always end up watching a rom-com. This genre has quickly become one of my favorites, so I wanted to share my top five favorite classic rom-coms.

1. “10 Things I Hate About You” (1999)

“10 Things I Hate About You” follows Kat Stratford (Julia Stiles) who is known to be bold, independent and snarky. She wants nothing to do with boys and dating, but her little sister isn’t allowed to date until she does. A plan is devised to get Kat to date someone, and the new guy, Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger), is told to go on a date with her, but he slowly starts falling for her in the process.

This is definitely one of the more well-known movies on this list, and I understand why. For the longest time, I heard of it being well-admired, so I walked into it with high expectations. After watching it for the first time, I was definitely satisfied. Since then, it has become one of the most enjoyable rom-coms for me to watch.

1. “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” (2003)

This film is based around two people who have two different points to prove. Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) is a column writer for a magazine, and she’s writing a column about how to get a man to leave in 10 days. She only writes from experience, so she sets out to do exactly what she is writing about. Ben Berry (Matthew McConaughey) believes that he could make any woman fall in love with him in just 10 days. When these two determined individuals meet, all their plans start going south.

This movie has the perfect balance of both romance and comedy. There are many moments of sentiment and just as many to make you laugh. This is the perfect movie for a cozy night in.

1. “She’s All That” (1999)

This is the classic popular boy and nerdy girl storyline. Zach Siler (Freddie Prinze Jr.) was the school hotshot until his cheerleader girlfriend broke up with him. His popularity started to decline and he became desperate to get it back. In his desperation, he took on the challenge of making the nerdy girl, Laney Boggs (Rachael Leigh Cook), into the next prom queen. He has six weeks to gain her trust and flip her life upside down.

As cliche as the storyline is, I always go back to this movie. It develops the relationships between characters really well. I would definitely recommend giving this movie a try at least once.

1. “13 Going On 30” (2004)

Thirteen year-old Jenna Rink (Christa B. Allen) wishes more than anything to be one of the popular girls, also known as the six chicks. After an embarrassing incident at her birthday party, she is left wishing for a different life. The next day Jenna (Jennifer Garner) wakes up to her dream life as a 30 year old woman. She is left to deal with a new set of challenges in adulthood with boys and her job.

Compared to other rom-coms, the plot of this movie is pretty unique. It shows how different teenage years can be from adulthood while keeping it light hearted and fairy tale-like. There are many funny moments, and the movie is overall a great watch.

1. “She’s The Man” (2006)

Lastly, one of my favorite rom-coms of all time is “She’s The Man.” This movie really plays into the comedy portion of the genre. It follows Viola Johnson (Amanda Bynes) as she impersonates her twin brother while he is in London at his new boarding school, so she can continue playing soccer. In the process of faking who she is, she falls for her team captain, who also happens to be her roommate, Duke Orsino (Channing Tatum).

All throughout, there are moments that make this movie comical, from the characters’ mannerisms to the plot. This is a great film for those who are looking for something lighthearted and funny, while still having the aspect of romance.