Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
A table is set up with trophies for the participants for the tournament at last year’s event on May 31, 2023.  (Photo provided by HBBC)
Band to hold golf tournament May 31
Mie Bakuya, Reporter • May 25, 2024

The band program will hold its eighth annual golf tournament on May 31 at Indian Creek Golf Course with a shotgun start at 8:30 a.m. The event...

(Left to right) DFW residents Ana Szabo, Lacey Gee, Amy Nichols and Nick Adams pose for a photo at their event “Swifties in the Park” at Grandscape in The Colony on April 27. At the event, they held competitions ,such as spelling bees and “finish the lyric” for the attendees, in which winners were given vinyls and a goodie bag from the Swiftie Market. (Photo provided by @the13podcast on Instagram)
Lucky Number 13
Saahir Mawani, Design Editor • May 24, 2024

On Dec. 13, 1989, global phenomenon Taylor Swift was bornin the town of Reading, PA. Only two years later, in 1992, the KiddKradick morning show...

Senior Jimmy Sanchez and junior Grant Koch perform a scene during a dress rehearsal of “The Diviners” on April 18. This was the only show strictly performed by theater’s Silver Company this year.
For the applause
Krista Fleming, Managing Editor • May 23, 2024

The stage is dark.  Junior Grant Koch is in the same spot he has been in for what feels like a thousand times, surrounded by cast members...

Weather

• 11 PM
    90 °
  • 12 AM
    89 °
  • 1 AM
    87 °
  • 2 AM
    86 °
  • 3 AM
    85 °
  • 4 AM
    84 °
  • 5 AM
    83 °
  • 6 AM
    82 °
  • 7 AM
    83 °
  • 8 AM
    85 °
  • 9 AM
    87 °
  • 10 AM
    90 °
  • 11 AM
    93 °
  • 12 PM
    96 °
  • 1 PM
    99 °
  • 2 PM
    101 °
  • 3 PM
    102 °
  • 4 PM
    102 °
  • 5 PM
    102 °
  • 6 PM
    101 °
  • 7 PM
    99 °
  • 8 PM
    96 °
  • 9 PM
    94 °
  • 10 PM
    92 °
  • 11 PM
    90 °
July 15
102°/ 79°
Patchy rain nearby
July 16
103°/ 82°
Sunny
July 17
101°/ 81°
Patchy rain nearby
Print Edition

Kacey Musgraves’ “Deeper Well” is a breath of fresh air

Photo via MCA Nashville / Interscope Records
Kacey Musgraves’ lyrics in “Deeper Well” will resonate with anybody on a deeper level. If you’re feeling mellow and alone on a “Lonely Weekend,” “Deeper Well” is the perfect remedy.

It seems 2024 is the year of healing for Kacey Musgraves. Her sixth studio album, “Deeper Well,” was released on March 15, and is a collection of soft, folky ballads. It focuses on Musgraves’ self-reflection and growth as a person —  a different but welcomed approach from her signature pop-country tone.

Musgraves has had a tumultuous couple of years. After divorcing her husband of two years, Ruston Kelly, in 2020, Musgraves was spotted with poet Cole Schafer almost a year later. The two dated until Musgraves confirmed their breakup this month in an interview. After listening to “Deeper Well” in its entirety, I have a gut feeling that their relationship was a key inspiration for the melodramatic lyrics and tone.

Starting off strong with “Cardinal,” Musgraves opens her album reminiscing about a fallout with a past friend, wondering if they still think about her. Compared to her last release in 2021, “star-crossed,” “Deeper Well” provides a different approach toward healing. Self-reflection and growth seem to be on Musgraves’ mind as she matures into adulthood. Through her lyrics, she is beginning to understand that friends come and go, and that everything will be OK. The vulnerability throughout her lyricism creates a sense of relatability with her listeners, allowing them to have a glimpse into her life as she continues to find herself at 35.

A signature melody progresses throughout the album, one that makes a person want to frolic in a grass-covered field and reconnect with their soul. Soft acoustic guitar strums and gentle piano notes complement her intricate lyrics beautifully, compared to her past pop-electronic tone in “Golden Hour.” 

My favorite songs are “Deeper Well” and “Moving Out,” both slow, soft melodies about outgrowing old habits and learning to grow in the face of change, rather than resent it. Both songs delve into sensitive topics, such as her struggles with marijuana use to cope and trying to salvage a failing romance as it crumbles in front of her. Throughout each song, Musgraves wears her past experiences and mistakes as a badge of honor, displaying a sign of her growth as a person and how far she’s come. 

This album is refreshing as fans see Musgraves pull back the curtain of the stage and offer a more realistic, raw version of herself. As I transition into adulthood, “Deeper Well” is comforting, unveiling that Musgraves, despite having a few years on me, is experiencing similar emotional hurdles. “Deeper Well” is Musgraves’ best work since “Golden Hour,” the breakthrough album that put her on the musical map.

Musgraves’ lyrics can resonate with anybody on a “deeper” level. If you’re feeling mellow and alone on a “Lonely Weekend,” “Deeper Well” is the perfect remedy.