Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
A table is set up with trophies for the participants for the tournament at last year’s event on May 31, 2023.  (Photo provided by HBBC)
Band to hold golf tournament May 31
Mie Bakuya, Reporter • May 25, 2024

The band program will hold its eighth annual golf tournament on May 31 at Indian Creek Golf Course with a shotgun start at 8:30 a.m. The event...

(Left to right) DFW residents Ana Szabo, Lacey Gee, Amy Nichols and Nick Adams pose for a photo at their event “Swifties in the Park” at Grandscape in The Colony on April 27. At the event, they held competitions ,such as spelling bees and “finish the lyric” for the attendees, in which winners were given vinyls and a goodie bag from the Swiftie Market. (Photo provided by @the13podcast on Instagram)
Lucky Number 13
Saahir Mawani, Design Editor • May 24, 2024

On Dec. 13, 1989, global phenomenon Taylor Swift was bornin the town of Reading, PA. Only two years later, in 1992, the KiddKradick morning show...

Senior Jimmy Sanchez and junior Grant Koch perform a scene during a dress rehearsal of “The Diviners” on April 18. This was the only show strictly performed by theater’s Silver Company this year.
For the applause
Krista Fleming, Managing Editor • May 23, 2024

The stage is dark.  Junior Grant Koch is in the same spot he has been in for what feels like a thousand times, surrounded by cast members...

Weather

• 11 PM
    90 °
  • 12 AM
    89 °
  • 1 AM
    87 °
  • 2 AM
    86 °
  • 3 AM
    85 °
  • 4 AM
    84 °
  • 5 AM
    83 °
  • 6 AM
    82 °
  • 7 AM
    83 °
  • 8 AM
    85 °
  • 9 AM
    87 °
  • 10 AM
    90 °
  • 11 AM
    93 °
  • 12 PM
    96 °
  • 1 PM
    99 °
  • 2 PM
    101 °
  • 3 PM
    102 °
  • 4 PM
    102 °
  • 5 PM
    102 °
  • 6 PM
    101 °
  • 7 PM
    99 °
  • 8 PM
    96 °
  • 9 PM
    94 °
  • 10 PM
    92 °
  • 11 PM
    90 °
July 15
102°/ 79°
Patchy rain nearby
July 16
103°/ 82°
Sunny
July 17
101°/ 81°
Patchy rain nearby
Print Edition

“SACRED HEART2 (+)” showcases why DC the Don is on the rise

After+almost+a+years+hiatus%2C+DC+The+Don+has+returned+with+his+new+album+%E2%80%9CSACRED+HEART2+%28%2B%29%2C%E2%80%9D+released+on+March+15.+He+is+critically+underrated.+%E2%80%9CSACRED+HEART+2+%28%2B%29%E2%80%9D+is%2C+for+sure%2C+my+album+of+the+year.+
Provided via Rostrum Records
After almost a year’s hiatus, DC The Don has returned with his new album “SACRED HEART2 (+),” released on March 15. He is critically underrated. “SACRED HEART 2 (+)” is, for sure, my album of the year.

After almost a year’s hiatus, DC The Don has finally returned with his new album “SACRED HEART2 (+),” released on March 15. 

I have been following DC the Don since 2018 when he released his first album, “DC Dahmer.” Some of my favorite songs from “DC Dahmer” were “Meet Whitney!” and “GMFU.” His older music, such as “GMFU,” consists of more 808 beats and hype songs — a stark contrast to his newer music in “SACRED HEART2 (+)” with the current sound being more melodic. 

“SACRED HEART 2 (+)” starts out with the original DC The Don sound of bassy beats mixed with complex vocals and lyricism. It stands out in songs such as “TILLY ADLIBS” and “KODAK BLACK.” These are my favorite songs on the album, with some experimental distortions in the beats which add to the more hype vibe of the songs. A great example of how DC has used this throughout his career is seen in one of my all-time favorites, “Workin on Dyin.” 

The first half of the album is my favorite part, which isn’t a knock on the second half. However, once you listen through the first ten songs or so, the whole vibe of the album switches up. It goes from more hype and energy-filled songs with fast-paced beats, to a more melodic and dark sound which is what DC the Don is known for. The standout songs in the first part of the album for me are “TILLY ADLIBS,” “KODAK BLACK,” “DIFFERENT TYPE” and “PERSONA”.

After “PERSONA,” which is close to the halfway mark of the album, DC goes into his signature melodic style of rap. This has become his signature style, as his most recent project prior to “SACRED HEART 2 (+)”, “Funeral,” was almost exclusively melodic and more mellow songs. Some standouts from “SACRED HEART 2 (+)” are definitely “POWER/LESS,” “SCREAMING THRU THE WALLS,” and “NOBODY.” The lyrics hold so much emotion and DC does a great job conveying that through the melody and the tempo of songs. 

Lyrics in “MET AT THE PARTY” talk about a love between him and a girl who he has had a falling out with, but still has feelings for. In “SOUTH MEMPHIS” when DC says, “I don’t wanna talk, I don’t even wanna chat, I don’t even wanna count my issues,” his music really resonates with me. At times, I also just want to chill and vibe to some music or forget about all the problems and issues I’ve got to deal with. 

I think DC the Don’s lyricism is one of the reasons I connect with his music so much and why he has developed one of the most loyal fan bases in the music industry. Even though he hasn’t broken into mainstream music just yet, I think the music DC is showcasing right now is going to make him top the charts.

DC the Don continues to push the boundary of rap as his newer melodic music is so similar to more R&B-type songs. It almost makes me question how much he is going to keep experimenting and pushing the barrier of conventional rap. 

But, one thing is certain about DC the Don –  he has been grinding. He’s put out four major projects in three years and released a bunch of singles as well. He is not putting out music just to put music out; he is putting out refined songs and some of his best work ever. The best part about his current grind is that he is just getting started. DC the Don is critically underrated and one of the best artists out right now. His lyrics hold meaning and emotion, but he also has the capability to go crazy and hype up his audience. 

Even though it’s early in 2024, “SACRED HEART 2 (+)” is, for sure, my album of the year. The combination of DC’s signature melodic style and his classic, more energetic and hype music makes “SACRED HEART 2 (+)” one of DC The Don’s best albums to date. I can’t wait for his next project to come out and hopefully see him get the recognition he deserves.