Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
DECA went to the State Career Development Conference (CDC) in Houston with 89 members. They came back with 31 ICDC qualifiers, eight teams among them. The Hebron chapter is competing from April 27 to April 30, in Anaheim, California, in 13 categories. 

(Photos via Brihati Krishna (top left), Divya Bapanapalli (top right), Amy Ngo (bottom left) and Cyrus Thomas (bottom right)
ICDuoC
Saahir Mawani, Design Editor • April 29, 2024

A photo of my dad and his coworkers, including his friend who died in a motorcycle accident is framed in a motorcycle chain. Accompanied with it, is an angel that I keep on the sun visor of my car with the words, “Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.”
Opinion: Think twice
Peyton Kuschmeider, Multimedia Editor • April 29, 2024

I’ll never forget that day. It was Christmas, and it was the first time I saw my dad really cry. After hours of silence and confusion,...

The Irving Convention Center will hold its 10th annual North Texas Teen Book Festival on Apr. 27 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Irving Convention Center to hold North Texas Teen Book Festival Apr. 27
Andrew John, Reporter • April 26, 2024

The Irving Convention Center will hold the North Texas Teen Book Festival (NTTBF) on Apr. 27 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. It will be the 10th annual...

Weather

• 3 PM
    81 °
  • 4 PM
    81 °
  • 5 PM
    81 °
  • 6 PM
    80 °
  • 7 PM
    77 °
  • 8 PM
    74 °
  • 9 PM
    72 °
  • 10 PM
    70 °
  • 11 PM
    69 °
  • 12 AM
    68 °
  • 1 AM
    67 °
  • 2 AM
    67 °
  • 3 AM
    66 °
  • 4 AM
    65 °
  • 5 AM
    65 °
  • 6 AM
    64 °
  • 7 AM
    65 °
  • 8 AM
    67 °
  • 9 AM
    70 °
  • 10 AM
    73 °
  • 11 AM
    76 °
  • 12 PM
    78 °
  • 1 PM
    81 °
  • 2 PM
    82 °
  • 3 PM
    83 °
April 29
82°/ 63°
Patchy rain nearby
April 30
84°/ 64°
Patchy rain nearby
May 1
83°/ 67°
Moderate rain
Print Edition

Andy’s Albums: hip-hop

Andy’s Albums is a blog dedicated to helping people explore new genres of music. This month, I will be covering hip-hop, a broad genre with strong roots that’s home to the United States.
Andrew Higgins

Welcome to Andy’s Albums, a blog series where I introduce a subgenre of music and give five albums to get started. This month, I will be covering hip-hop: one of the most influential genres.

Hip-hop is a form of music that originated from African American communities in the United States during the late 1970s. It is commonly characterized by rhythmic speech, storytelling, wordplay and social commentary. Over the years, hip-hop has become a popular genre to address a wide range of topics such as personal struggles or social experiences the singer/songwriter has faced.

If you already enjoy hip-hop, or if it sounds interesting to you, here are five albums that are good for beginners or people exploring new music.

“To Pimp a Butterfly” — Kendrick Lamar

Released in 2015, “To Pimp a Butterfly” remains a modern masterpiece, tackling themes of race, self-identity and the many social issues singer/songwriter Kendrick Lamar faced growing up in Compton, California. This album  — along with “Good Kid, M.A.A.D City,” – is an amazing work of art that expresses the deep turmoil of being an American in poverty. Lamar takes on a lot of emotional topics, and his ability to tie together personal experiences and stories with music is amazing. “To Pimp a Butterfly” was the first album I listened to from start to finish, and it couldn’t have been a better pick. 

My must-listen-to songs are “u,” “Institutionalized” and “King Kunta.”

“The Low End Theory” — A Tribe Called Quest

“The Low End Theory” is the best for people who enjoy a funky or older vibe. In their second studio album, A Tribe Called Quest combines jazz-based production with socially conscious lyrics to create a more abstract atmosphere still rooted in the hip-hop genre. As the title suggests, the album is bass-heavy, and if one is coming from jazz, I recommend this album over the others. Tracks like “Excursions” and “Senario (feat. Busta Rhymes, Dinco D & Charlie Brown)” directly introduce the theme of the album, and the storytelling on these tracks is something else. Their samples from jazz greats like Lou Reed and Ron Carter come together with the vocals to make the album speak for itself. After being introduced to it by a friend, this album remains one of my favorites, and I enjoy this vibe the most. 

I recommend one of my favorite songs of all time, “Excursions,” as well as “Senario” and “Verses from the Abstract” (feat. Vinia Mojica and Ron Carter).

“Graduation” – Kanye West

Kanye West’s older albums really paint a picture of the hip-hop scene in the early 2000s. West’s beginnings started with inspiration from synth legends like Daft Punk and various indie rock bands. He used them to create melodies with a futuristic theme. “Graduation” is the third and final album in his first trilogy, and all three albums have unique ideas that are brought to life in a manner never seen before. This album pushed the boundaries of hip-hop musically, but it still keeps the themes alive as West discusses his issues with his newfound fame and self-doubt.

My recommendations from this one are “Flashing Lights,” “Good Morning,” and “Everything I Am.”

“Illmatic” – Nas

“Illmatic” is hailed as one of the best hip-hop albums of all time for its storytelling, and after listening to it for the first time, I can see why. In the album, Nas uses vivid lyrics to paint a picture of what it was like growing up in the Queensbridge projects and his drive for success in life. Tracks like “The World is Yours” shape the album and emphasize the overall emotion. If the hip-hop or rap scene isn’t familiar, this album still won’t disappoint. Right after its finishing track, this album had me coming back for more. 

I love to listen to “N.Y. State of Mind,’” “It Ain’t Hard to Tell,” and “The World is Yours.”

“Madvillainy” – MF DOOM and Madlib

Formed by Madvillan, a collaboration between at-the-time underground artists Madlib and MF DOOM, “Madvillany” produced an eclectic, lo-fi hip-hop album that wouldn’t be properly recognized until the years following its original release in 2004. This album ties together everything unusual, from unorthodox beats to samples never heard of, into one definitive album. Tracks like “Accordion” and “All Caps” are examples of MF DOOM’s wordplay and dexterity. I found this album in my freshman year and it stood the test of time, still to this day being one of my favorite albums of all time. If the quirkier side of the hip-hop genre sounds more interesting, then I recommend this album. If it’s a good listen, MF DOOM has two more albums that are similar to this one: “MM…FOOD” and “Operation: Doomsday.” 

My playlist adds are “All Caps,” “Meat Grinder,” and “Fancy Clown.”