Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hawks Uncovered: Future drum major Kira Vorhaben

Avery Dyer
Freshman Kira Vorhaben will be a drum major for the 2024-2025 school year. Though this wasn’t her original plan, it turned out to be exactly what she wanted.

Editor’s Note: “Hawks Uncovered” is a series that tells the often unknown stories of Hebron students and staff.

This was not her plan.

While being a part of the marching band for her freshman year, Kira Vorhaben had no interest in becoming a drum major. She grew to love marching on the field, and felt as though she would miss it too much to leave it behind.

However, as the year progressed, her visions for the future changed.

Throughout the year, Kira was inspired by the current drum majors, especially head drum major Chan-Hee Kim. She said that she wanted to be able to provide the same feeling of inspiration to the band.

Kira said she feels she will be able to be a friendly face within the band. She has an outgoing personality and loves talking to new people and making new friends. She said she hopes being a drum major will allow her to build relationships with incoming and returning members, creating a fun and comfortable environment.

After spending her freshman year playing mellophone and french horn, learning how to conduct was the greatest challenge. The mechanics, techniques and patterns used to conduct were all new concepts to her. But with support from her family and friends, she was able to figure it out and use her new-found skills in her audition.

Ever since the drum majors for the 2024-2025 school year were announced, the new team started picking up responsibilities and working together. Kira said they get along really well and already have a good bond. She’s confident in the new team’s abilities to work well together and be each other’s support systems.

Though the jump from being a freshman member of the band to being a drum major will be a big one, Kira thinks she is ready to take on the leadership role. She knows the aspects of her work ethic that need improving in order to take on the huge workload coming her way, and she is more than willing to make a change.

Of all the emotions she’s feeling, excitement trumps it all. Every time someone mentions her role for the upcoming year, she can’t help but have a big smile on her face. Kira said she feels ready for the adventures of next year and can’t wait to use her personality to make a difference.