Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
Latin club students pose with their awards from their Junior Classical League state competition this past weekend on April 6th. Eight students from the school’s Latin club participated in events and four advanced to nationals.
Latin club students place at state convention
Gavin Lambert, Reporter • April 12, 2024

Latin club students participated in the Junior Classical League (JCL) state competition this past weekend on April 5-7. Eight students from the...

Conan Gray has experimented with different styles of music, and his release of “Found Heaven” on April 5 was his transition to feel-good pop music.
Conan Gray’s “Found Heaven” is revolutionary
Peyton Kuschmeider, Multimedia Editor • April 12, 2024

When I first started listening to Conan Gray back in 2020, I fell in love with his soothing melodies and melancholy lyrics of “Sunset Season”...

Opinion: Video games should downsize their budgets
Alexander Cha, Reporter • April 11, 2024

With the advancement of the video game industry, game development has become increasingly more expensive and time-consuming. Video games budgets...

Weather

• 4 AM
    63 °
  • 5 AM
    62 °
  • 6 AM
    62 °
  • 7 AM
    63 °
  • 8 AM
    64 °
  • 9 AM
    66 °
  • 10 AM
    69 °
  • 11 AM
    72 °
  • 12 PM
    75 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    81 °
  • 4 PM
    81 °
  • 5 PM
    81 °
  • 6 PM
    79 °
  • 7 PM
    77 °
  • 8 PM
    76 °
  • 9 PM
    74 °
  • 10 PM
    73 °
  • 11 PM
    72 °
  • 12 AM
    71 °
  • 1 AM
    70 °
  • 2 AM
    69 °
  • 3 AM
    68 °
  • 4 AM
    67 °
April 14
82°/ 62°
Sunny
April 15
80°/ 65°
Patchy rain nearby
April 16
84°/ 66°
Patchy rain nearby
Print Edition

Track and field to hold home meet Feb. 24

Runners+are+practicing+for+the+400-meter+race+by+running+on+the+track+at+practice+on+Feb.+21.+Track+and+field+practice+during+first+and+fourth+period%2C+preparing+for+the+upcoming+meet.+
Eyesha Sadiq
Runners are practicing for the 400-meter race by running on the track at practice on Feb. 21. Track and field practice during first and fourth period, preparing for the upcoming meet.

Track and field will hold its only home meet of the season from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Feb. 24. Eight district teams will compete. 

“Being [at my own campus] is more calming for me because I’m surrounded by a familiar area with familiar people,” pole vaulter Leeah Boyd said. “Some of my friends come to [this] home meet [and] don’t go to away [meets], so I feel more supported.”

At the meet, there will be 17 different field and running events. Head coach Chance Edwards said Coppell is the biggest competitor in the boy’s district, and Lewisville is for the girls. Edwards said he loves watching the students get excited for the upcoming meet.

“The home meet for the coaches [is] not super exciting because it’s a lot more work to undertake,” Edwards said. “But, it’s enjoyable to watch the kids get excited about it because they perform harder [and] better.” 

Each student is selected for an event based on their sprints, jumps, throws and distance. First period track and field practices distance running and fourth period practices sprints, jumps and throws. 

“{At home meets], you have more reason to beat the people you’re running against and more motivation,” runner Brooks Mitchell. “You’re practicing every day, so when you’re racing somewhere where you’re practicing, it kind of feels like second nature and feels like home.”

Boyd said the home meets require more dedication from the athletes because of having to prepare for the meet, but also having to help run the event such as setting up field events. 

“It’s definitely a different atmosphere being [on] our home field because this is where we train,” Boyd said. “This is where we feel more comfortable. Hopefully, we [receive] better results, [and] good performances. Overall, being home is more hype.”

Track and field will have its district meet at Marcus High School on April 3-4. Edwards said that, by the end of the season, he thinks he will have a state-ranked distance runner with Elijah Rivera Campos, a state-ranked thrower with Chloe Barber and a state-ranked pole vaulter with Boyd.

“[The] goal each round [is] to send as many athletes and [in as] many events as possible to the next round until you get to the regional finals with the chance to go to state,” Edwards said. “That’s [just our] goal, as it is every year.”