Hebron routs Fossil Ridge, 30-23

In the first home game of the season, the Hawks increased their record to 2-1 on a humid Friday night against the Fossil Ridge Panthers.

The game started off with Fossil Ridge returning the opening kickoff for a brisk touchdown, but senior Jamal Adams quickly returned the next kickoff for a touchdown as well, tying up the score 7-7 within the first minute of the game. Set up by an interception by senior linebacker Gavin Burford, senior kicker Joel Carlos scored a field goal to give the Hawks the lead. Carlos scored another field goal on the next Hawk drive to put Hebron up 13-7 after the first quarter.

In the second quarter, the Panthers, given good field position off of an interception, scored an early field goal to bring the score to 13-10. The Panthers recovered a Hawk fumble on the next kickoff, but were unable to convert that error into any points. Later in the quarter, after coming back on the field from what appeared to be a calf injury, senior running back Treyvon Hughes rushed the Hawks down to the 8-yard line to set up another Carlos field goal. The Hawks ended the half up 16-10.

Early in the third quarter, the Hawks lost sophomore offensive lineman Antonio Montez for the game, with what was either a knee or ankle injury. Montez did not return to the game. The Panthers drove the ball down the field and quickly scored a 7-yard touchdown pass, but the Panthers were blocked on the PAT, tying up the score to 16-16 to end the third quarter.

Early in the fourth quarter, Hughes scored on a 3-yard run bringing the score to 23-16. But with five minutes left, the Panthers answered with a 3-yard run of their own by their quarterback to tie up the game. On the following kickoff, senior wide receiver Travis Stone, playing as a return man, ran the ball to the 50 to give the Hawks good ball placement. With one minute left on the clock, Adams, as running back, collected a 30 yard touchdown run to give Hebron the advantage, 30-23. With less than a minute left, the Panthers were unable to convert on a fourth down try, which ended the night.

Final score: 30-23 (W)