Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Point/Counterpoint: Marriage

Point%2FCounterpoint%3A+Marriage

[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]Two staff members share their conflicting views on the legal government union between two people, also known as marriage. [/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][heading]Hannah Arnold

For Marriage[/heading][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][heading]Ariana Campbell

Against Marriage[/heading][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]Since I was a little girl, I have always loved the idea of marriage. I dream (in a Pinterest sort of way) about my wedding, but more than anything about growing old with someone I love. Contrary to many people, the commitment aspect doesn’t scare me at all; in fact, it excites me. The idea of a consistent middle-class life thrills me to no end. If I become a soccer mom with a minivan, I probably wouldn’t complain.

This isn’t to say that I’m not enjoying the moment. I am relishing being single and having the freedom to only take care of myself – not a husband or children. But I can only hope that in 10 years I will be on the way to my one-big-happy-family dream. And that begins with marriage.

Some may say that I’m ignorant, that I don’t know the hardships marriage brings. Quite the contrary. I understand the struggles but I also know the joy. I credit this to my family. I have witnessed disagreements between my parents, who just celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary. Some have been of a larger magnitude than others, but day after day they continue to love and serve each other. My grandparents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary when I was in second grade. Since then, I have been looking forward to when I have white hair and frail hands but still have my wedding ring on.

I hope to follow the generations of couples before me. Until then, I cherish the solitude and ready myself to be the wife to my husband and the mother of my children. [/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]I hope I never get married. It may sound a bit crazy, but it’s true. Routine bores me; commitment terrifies me. The idea of spending the rest of my life with the same person does not interest me at all. Those closest to me know that I am extremely independent. I do what I want, when I want, and I would be perfectly fine with things staying that way for the rest of my life. Married women cannot just make decisions on a whim – they must first consult their husbands.

I also have an issue with what marriage generally means for women. Not every couple is the same, but in many marriages it is up to the woman to do the cooking, the cleaning and the child-rearing. Yes, there are some women who truly enjoy taking care of the house and the kids, but I will not be one of those women. Success is difficult enough for women with careers (what with the whole glass ceiling thing and all), but throw in a couple of kids and a husband and a woman easily goes from Ms. Incredibly Talented and Ambitious to Mrs. Overly Emotional Wife and Mommy. It is definitely possible for a woman to successfully juggle her family and her job, but I don’t exactly like kids, and my idea of cooking is reheating leftover Domino’s pizza.

A good number of marriages end in divorce, anyway. I like to think I’m optimistic, but even I don’t understand why so many people still get married when they know that it can only end one of two ways: divorce or death. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but the odds of actually getting a happily-ever-after are shockingly slim. If my options are becoming a widow or a divorcee, or never marrying and having fun, I pick the latter.

I don’t think that marriage is a bad thing. I’m sure that for some people, being married is amazing. That said, I think I’ll avoid the ridiculously expensive wedding and the inevitable discomfort that comes with seeing and talking to the same person every day for decades, and just enjoy life.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]