Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
Infographic: Cinco de Mayo in Texas
Infographic: Cinco de Mayo in Texas
Gavin Lambert, Reporter • May 5, 2024

In honor of May 4th, National Star Wars Day, I ranked my top five pieces of “Star Wars” media.
Ranking the best “Star Wars” media
Gavin Lambert, Reporter • May 4, 2024

Ever since “A New Hope” premiered more than 45 years ago in 1977, the world has been captivated by the galaxy far, far away. I was first...

Infographic: Labor History Month
Infographic: Labor History Month
Hannah Mathew, Web Editor • May 3, 2024

Weather

• 11 AM
    78 °
  • 12 PM
    79 °
  • 1 PM
    81 °
  • 2 PM
    82 °
  • 3 PM
    83 °
  • 4 PM
    84 °
  • 5 PM
    84 °
  • 6 PM
    82 °
  • 7 PM
    79 °
  • 8 PM
    76 °
  • 9 PM
    75 °
  • 10 PM
    74 °
  • 11 PM
    73 °
  • 12 AM
    72 °
  • 1 AM
    71 °
  • 2 AM
    71 °
  • 3 AM
    71 °
  • 4 AM
    72 °
  • 5 AM
    72 °
  • 6 AM
    72 °
  • 7 AM
    73 °
  • 8 AM
    74 °
  • 9 AM
    77 °
  • 10 AM
    80 °
  • 11 AM
    83 °
May 7
84°/ 71°
Sunny
May 8
92°/ 71°
Patchy rain nearby
May 9
79°/ 62°
Sunny
Print Edition

Era’s (Saahir’s Version): TTPD: THE ANTHOLOGY

Saahir Mawani
On release day, two hours following the release of the album, ‘THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT: THE ANTHOLOGY’ was released. This album is an amazing continuation of the first 16 tracks.

Since the announcement of “THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT,” an unexplained symbol has been used for promotion: ✌️. Initiated by Swift at her announcement, both the singer and her team (Taylor Nation) replaced the number two with the peace sign in most sentences. The reason behind the hand sign was revealed at ✌️A.M., since there were two albums. Two hours following the release of the original, “THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT: THE ANTHOLOGY” was released. This added another 16 tracks to the album, doubling its length. This set was even harder to narrow down, but the following two songs were the stand-outs from the addition to this album. 

“THE ANTHOLOGY”

“Chloe or Sam or Sophia or Marcus” depicts Swift going through and dealing with the effects of the end of her relationship. Its minimal nature lends itself to the likes of “folklore” and “evermore,”  bringing her folk-y instruments back to the forefront. I loved this song because it provided me respite from the highly produced synth tracks, giving the listener an intimate moment with Swift and her instruments. 

A strong departure from “Chloe or Sam or Sophia or Marcus,” “So High School” allegedly takes the listener through her relationship with Kansas City Chief’s Tight End Travis Kelce. I fell in love with this song faster than you could say “touchdown.” This song is the antithesis of the rest of the album, featuring a giddy singer relishing in the bliss of her new relationship. This song puts a smile on my face every single time I listen to it. 

Bonus Vinyl Tracks

Swift announced the album with “The Manuscript,” a vinyl exclusive track. Following the announcement, the singer re-embarked on her record-breaking “Era’s Tour.” While on tour, she announced three additional variants of her albums. The first variant, “The Bolter” was announced in Melbourne, Australia on Feb. 16. The second variant was dubbed “The Albatross,” and announced on Feb. 23. Finally, “The Black Dog” was announced as the final variant on March 3. 

Closing both albums, “The Manuscript” tells the tale of what I assume to be Swift after her breakup, saying the only thing left of their relationship is “The Manuscript” of their life together. This song is simple yet heartbreaking. It is full of references to their relationship, strung along with tunes from a lullaby. I would love to fall asleep to this song as Swift tells us the heartbreak of six years in three minutes and 45 seconds. 

“The Bolter” might have one of my favorite choruses Swift has ever written, reflecting a relationship similar to the one told via the “folklore”  love triangle. This specific use of her lower register is different than done before, maintaining a delicate balance between the breathy “ha’s” and her primary vocals. I loved how this song combined so many of her popular elements, but allowed the spotlight to fall on her storytelling. 

“The Albatross” is an essential part of the album as a whole. This song reminds me of the witchy tunes that filled up her two pandemic albums. It was extremely jarring hearing Swift say that she “is here to destroy you.” I have a hard time formally placing this song in reference to others, just because of how unique it is. 

“The Black Dog,” known to be a metaphor for depression, is a song that narrates the experiences of the demise and rough patches of a relationship. This song constantly refers to her past relationship throughout the song, such as calling out her partner’s frequency at The Black Dog, a pub in London, or the house that they built together. The song ends with Swift referring to the person as the dog, saying they’re leaving with their tail between their legs, because “old habits die screaming.” This song was excellent, and was my favorite story told in this “ANTHOLOGY” of works. 

It is easy to say this combined album was one of my favorite works Swift has ever released. No matter what production was put alongside the lyrics, each song was a different representation of heartbreak, whether that be with the hyper-pop production of “I Can Do It With A Broken Heart”, or the ethereal backing vocals of “So Long, London.” This “ANTHOLOGY” threw me for a loop, prompting me to wipe my tears. At the end of the day, I’m grateful to be known as a part of “THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT.”