Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
The Irving Convention Center will hold its 10th annual North Texas Teen Book Festival on Apr. 27 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Irving Convention Center to hold North Texas Teen Book Festival Apr. 27
Andrew John, Reporter • April 26, 2024

The Irving Convention Center will hold the North Texas Teen Book Festival (NTTBF) on Apr. 27 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. It will be the 10th annual...

On release day, two hours following the release of the album, ‘THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT: THE ANTHOLOGY’ was released. This album is an amazing continuation of the first 16 tracks.
Era's (Saahir's Version): TTPD: THE ANTHOLOGY
Saahir Mawani, Design Editor • April 26, 2024

Since the announcement of “THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT,” an unexplained symbol has been used for promotion: ✌️. Initiated by Swift...

The varsity color guard team poses for the photo after finishing first
at finals for the North Texas Colorguard association. Students will help serve food to VIP guests and perform the show at the end of the gala.
Color guard to hold gala April 26
Mie Bakuya, Reporter • April 26, 2024

The color guard team will hold its first gala in the cafeteria at the freshman campus at 6:30 p.m. on April 26. There will be musical ensembles,...

Weather

• 3 PM
    77 °
  • 4 PM
    79 °
  • 5 PM
    79 °
  • 6 PM
    78 °
  • 7 PM
    75 °
  • 8 PM
    73 °
  • 9 PM
    71 °
  • 10 PM
    70 °
  • 11 PM
    69 °
  • 12 AM
    68 °
  • 1 AM
    67 °
  • 2 AM
    66 °
  • 3 AM
    66 °
  • 4 AM
    65 °
  • 5 AM
    64 °
  • 6 AM
    64 °
  • 7 AM
    65 °
  • 8 AM
    68 °
  • 9 AM
    71 °
  • 10 AM
    74 °
  • 11 AM
    77 °
  • 12 PM
    79 °
  • 1 PM
    81 °
  • 2 PM
    83 °
  • 3 PM
    84 °
April 28
80°/ 64°
Heavy rain
April 29
85°/ 64°
Sunny
April 30
80°/ 66°
Patchy rain nearby
Print Edition

You’ll “Wish You Were Here” for Dro Kenji’s rise to stardom

Dro Kenji’s new album “Wish You Were Here” captives the audience with a heartbreaking album cover. The cover shows the pain of heartbreak as love arrows strike him.
via Internet Money Records/ 10k Projects

Dro Kenji dropped his long-awaited album “Wish You Were Here” Aug. 18 after taking a lengthy break since his debut in 2020. I was immediately intrigued and excited when he announced he was dropping it. I think this could be some of his best music to date. When I listened to the album, I knew it would be one of my favorites. 

Kenji is an up and coming artist who has been on the rise after dropping popular singles such as “UDNTLUVME” and “ARSONIST” and being featured on Mike Dimes’ hit song, “Kiss and Tell.” I originally discovered Kenji through another artist I follow, Dc the Don, when they wrote a song together in 2021 called, “SO WHAT” which topped charts on its debut. I was pulled in by Keji’s unique sound and have been a fan of his ever since. He brought a darker vibe, yet still an energetic and melodic style of rap. 

With “Wish You Were Here,” Kenji continues to connect with his fans by cultivating a community for his fan base, which is by far one of the most dedicated I’ve ever seen. Many fans have already gotten tattoos relating to the album, too. 

This 17-song album starts out strong with “THROW UP,” “PAMPER PAMPER” with Mike Dimes and “WHITE OUT.” “THROW UP” opens up the album with his iconic emotional style. This song does not disappoint, as it introduces a heartbreaking theme that’s carried throughout Kenji’s entire album. His genius lyricism depicts heart-throbbing illustrations of emotion.

“PAMPER PAMPER” is a song Kenji collaborated with Dimes on. The fan favorite duo never disappoints as this song has the highest energy of the whole album. The song features fast and heavy bass that suits the artists’ smooth, yet raw and inventive style: the signature back and forth style of rap that is utilized in their collabs. The flow they have is seamless and makes for a quality song everytime. 

My personal favorite off the album has to be “WHITE OUT;” its energy connects with other songs’ and is a more crisp and smooth approach to rap. Having worked with world famous producer Nick Mira, this song perfectly encapsulates Kenji’s creative writing and flow, offering some of his best work and starting strong with a melodic vibe and a level of complexity in the lyrics that consistently climbs throughout the song. 

The first half of “Wish You Were Here” blew my expectations out of the water and I really connected to the theme and lyrics of the songs. 

However, the second half of the album is a let down. It didn’t draw me in, as it didn’t hold on to the pacing and overall vibe of the first half. A couple of songs such as “ATTACHMENT PROBLEMS” and “SPINNIN” stood out with their incredible emotional lyrics, which encapsulate the theme of the album. However, the rest of “Wish You Were Here” explores the emotional damage and depressing aspects of love, morphing the album’s overall vibe. It really digs into the heartbreaking themes, but wasn’t my favorite because I prefer a bit more upbeat and complex style of rap. 

“Wish You Were Here” is an album that demonstrates how far Kenji has come as he rises to the top of the rap game. As a devoted fan, I cannot contain my excitement to see and hear more from Kenji in the future. He has arrived and is here to compete against other talented rap artists.

1
View Comments (1)