Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
Latin club students pose with their awards from their Junior Classical League state competition this past weekend on April 6th. Eight students from the school’s Latin club participated in events and four advanced to nationals.
Latin club students place at state convention
Gavin Lambert, Reporter • April 12, 2024

Latin club students participated in the Junior Classical League (JCL) state competition this past weekend on April 5-7. Eight students from the...

Conan Gray has experimented with different styles of music, and his release of “Found Heaven” on April 5 was his transition to feel-good pop music.
Conan Gray’s “Found Heaven” is revolutionary
Peyton Kuschmeider, Multimedia Editor • April 12, 2024

When I first started listening to Conan Gray back in 2020, I fell in love with his soothing melodies and melancholy lyrics of “Sunset Season”...

Opinion: Video games should downsize their budgets
Alexander Cha, Reporter • April 11, 2024

With the advancement of the video game industry, game development has become increasingly more expensive and time-consuming. Video games budgets...

Weather

• 2 AM
    64 °
  • 3 AM
    64 °
  • 4 AM
    63 °
  • 5 AM
    62 °
  • 6 AM
    62 °
  • 7 AM
    63 °
  • 8 AM
    64 °
  • 9 AM
    66 °
  • 10 AM
    69 °
  • 11 AM
    72 °
  • 12 PM
    75 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    81 °
  • 4 PM
    81 °
  • 5 PM
    81 °
  • 6 PM
    79 °
  • 7 PM
    77 °
  • 8 PM
    76 °
  • 9 PM
    74 °
  • 10 PM
    73 °
  • 11 PM
    72 °
  • 12 AM
    71 °
  • 1 AM
    70 °
  • 2 AM
    69 °
April 14
82°/ 62°
Sunny
April 15
80°/ 65°
Patchy rain nearby
April 16
84°/ 66°
Patchy rain nearby
Print Edition

Theatre’s performance of “Emma’s Child” brought tears to my eyes

+Senior+Sophia+Wheeler+looks+into+the+baby%E2%80%99s+incubator+at+a+rehearsal+of+%E2%80%9CEmma%E2%80%99s+Child%E2%80%9D+on+March+6.+The+theater+department+held+its+public+performance+on+March+19+and+competed+in+the+zone+competition+on+March+20%2C+where+Hebron+advanced+to+district.
Peyton Kuschmeider
Senior Sophia Wheeler looks into the baby’s incubator at a rehearsal of “Emma’s Child” on March 6. The theater department held its public performance on March 19 and competed in the zone competition on March 20, where Hebron advanced to district.

It’s very rare for me to cry at any movie or show. It’s something my family and friends have always thought was odd — no matter how sad the storyline was, I could rarely cry.

The theater department’s performance of “Emma’s Child” changed that for me, as it brought a pool of tears to my eyes.

“Emma’s Child” is the story of a couple, Jean and Henry Farrell (seniors Sohpia Wheeler and Max Turman), who want to adopt a baby from a woman named Emma (junior Ayra Kasamali). The baby is born with a condition called hydrocephalus, which causes spinal fluid to accumulate in the brain. This disease means the baby will either die within a few weeks or live a complicated life with neurological problems. 

The show had the perfect balance of tragedy and comedy. The actors did a phenomenal job at keeping a light-hearted mood and cracking subtle jokes while also portraying real emotions. The show took me on a rollercoaster of emotions; I went from giggling during one scene to nearly crying the next. The actors truly became their characters and everything felt real —- the emotions, the personalities and the storyline were so raw and genuine. 

The lights and sound only intensified these emotions. Between scenes, there was the subtle sound of a childish music box and a loud, rushed heart monitor. As each beat of the heart monitor sped up, I felt more and more anxiety and suspense. In the scenes at the hospital, the lights would turn blue, filling the room with a sense of depression and emptiness like a real hospital. 

The only constructive criticism I can give about this show was the pacing. The storyline felt rushed, which was understandable since they had to condense a long play into 40 minutes to fit UIL guidelines; however, it just didn’t feel right. I found myself wishing each scene would last longer and add a little more detail. 

Despite that small issue, the show has advanced past the zone competition, which was well deserved. They will continue to compete with this show at district competition on March 28. This show definitely deserves to make it far in the competition; it was absolutely beautiful and stunning.