Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
Latin club students pose with their awards from their Junior Classical League state competition this past weekend on April 6th. Eight students from the school’s Latin club participated in events and four advanced to nationals.
Latin club students place at state convention
Gavin Lambert, Reporter • April 12, 2024

Latin club students participated in the Junior Classical League (JCL) state competition this past weekend on April 5-7. Eight students from the...

Conan Gray has experimented with different styles of music, and his release of “Found Heaven” on April 5 was his transition to feel-good pop music.
Conan Gray’s “Found Heaven” is revolutionary
Peyton Kuschmeider, Multimedia Editor • April 12, 2024

When I first started listening to Conan Gray back in 2020, I fell in love with his soothing melodies and melancholy lyrics of “Sunset Season”...

Opinion: Video games should downsize their budgets
Alexander Cha, Reporter • April 11, 2024

With the advancement of the video game industry, game development has become increasingly more expensive and time-consuming. Video games budgets...

Weather

• 2 AM
    64 °
  • 3 AM
    64 °
  • 4 AM
    63 °
  • 5 AM
    62 °
  • 6 AM
    62 °
  • 7 AM
    63 °
  • 8 AM
    64 °
  • 9 AM
    66 °
  • 10 AM
    69 °
  • 11 AM
    72 °
  • 12 PM
    75 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    81 °
  • 4 PM
    81 °
  • 5 PM
    81 °
  • 6 PM
    79 °
  • 7 PM
    77 °
  • 8 PM
    76 °
  • 9 PM
    74 °
  • 10 PM
    73 °
  • 11 PM
    72 °
  • 12 AM
    71 °
  • 1 AM
    70 °
  • 2 AM
    69 °
April 14
82°/ 62°
Sunny
April 15
80°/ 65°
Patchy rain nearby
April 16
84°/ 66°
Patchy rain nearby
Print Edition

Band to host ensemble showcase Feb. 29

+Sophomores+Pranav+Gillella+and+Kaylee+Klein+perform+during+the+Region+band+concert%2C+on+Jan.+13.+The+ensemble+showcase+is+held+to+prepare+students+for+the+upcoming+LISD+solo+and+ensemble+competition+on+March+2.
Photo taken by Long Nguyen
Sophomores Pranav Gillella and Kaylee Klein perform during the Region band concert, on Jan. 13. The ensemble showcase is held to prepare students for the upcoming LISD solo and ensemble competition on March 2.

The band program will hold an ensemble showcase tomorrow from 5-9 p.m. in the auditorium featuring live performances from several student-led groups. 

“When [students] are in small ensembles, they learn to communicate better when they’re playing,” private lesson teacher Michelle Shaheen said. “They have to have visual cues, they have to make eye contact a lot more and they have to be more sensitive. But also, they have to be really independent and confident with their [music.]”

The event will prepare students for the Lewisville ISD solo and ensemble competition on March 2. LISD solo and ensemble is an event that allows students from different bands to collaborate. 

“[Ensembles] really have to work together and make sure we’re playing at the right speed, right dynamics [and] all together musically,” senior Jose Gallegos said. “I think [this opportunity] really strengthens a student’s musicality because it gives you perspective of what music can be outside the band setting.”

For the past several months, students have been rehearsing after school or on the weekends in preparation for the competition. These ensembles can consist of any instrumental variation and size. Gallegos has been involved in the same woodwind quintet for the past two years. 

“It really forces me to practice because in these small ensembles, you really stick out and you don’t hide easily like you do in a big band setting,” Gallegos said. “In small ensembles, you have to be more disciplined in your part. A single mistake can ruin the whole ensemble, [so] you have to be independent.”

There will be 49 ensembles performing on Thursday. Students will receive feedback for their performance from judges and be given a first, second or third division. The divisions indicate the level of preparation and execution of an ensemble’s music piece, with a first division being the best. Anyone in the community is able to come and watch the performances.

“[This event] allows students to get a performance in front of people, both that they know and they don’t,” Shaheen said. “It allows them to get their nerves out and perform in front of a big audience – that makes it a little less intimidating in front of a judge.”