Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
Shortstop Haylee Epps hits a ball in area finals. Coaches from Hebron and Lake Highlands opted to make this a single-game playoff as opposed to a three-game series, which the Lady Hawks won 11-4.
Softball season ends at regional quarterfinals
Andrew Higgins, Reporter • May 18, 2024

The softball team’s season ended with a loss to Plano West High School in the regional quarterfinals on May 11 in a three-game playoff series.  “The...

Story-based games have been making a comeback, following the releases of TV-based spin-offs. With summer right around the corner, here are five great story-based video games to cure your summer boredom.
Five story games to play this summer
Andrew Higgins, Reporter • May 17, 2024

Story-based games have been making a comeback, following the releases of TV-based spin-offs, like “Fallout” and “The Last of Us.” Story...

I find myself going through my baby photo albums whenever I miss my grandpa. I’ve always kept the things I love close, and the people I love even closer.
Opinion: The everlasting feeling of loss
Shiren Noorani, Opinion Editor • May 17, 2024

Loss: the fact or process of losing something or someone. A feeling that entered my life with a sense of fear — one I lived every day trying...

Weather

• 9 PM
    79 °
  • 10 PM
    78 °
  • 11 PM
    76 °
  • 12 AM
    75 °
  • 1 AM
    74 °
  • 2 AM
    73 °
  • 3 AM
    72 °
  • 4 AM
    72 °
  • 5 AM
    71 °
  • 6 AM
    71 °
  • 7 AM
    72 °
  • 8 AM
    74 °
  • 9 AM
    77 °
  • 10 AM
    80 °
  • 11 AM
    82 °
  • 12 PM
    85 °
  • 1 PM
    87 °
  • 2 PM
    88 °
  • 3 PM
    89 °
  • 4 PM
    89 °
  • 5 PM
    88 °
  • 6 PM
    87 °
  • 7 PM
    84 °
  • 8 PM
    82 °
  • 9 PM
    80 °
May 18
90°/ 67°
Sunny
May 19
90°/ 70°
Sunny
May 20
89°/ 72°
Sunny
Print Edition

Volleyball to compete against Marcus Oct. 3

Nyla
Junior Haley Kersetter jumps to slam the ball. Practices are held Monday through Thursday from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. in preparation for upcoming games.

The volleyball team will compete against Marcus on Oct. 3 at 6:30 p.m. in the arena.

In the 2022-2023 season, the team finished sixth in the district with three wins and 11 losses, which prevented the team from making playoffs. Head coach Karin Keeney said a goal of the team this year is to make it to playoffs, meaning they have to be in the top four of the district. Currently, they are fifth in the district with a score of 16-17 overall.

“The season has gone up and down [so far],” Keeney said. “We’ve won more games already than we won all of last year. [We’ve] definitely made a huge step in improvement, [and] I’ve been very pleased.”

The team has a 3-4 score in districts for the 2023-2024 season. One of the biggest challenges the team faces is how young the team is, with only four senior athletes. 

“We’ve taken all of our setbacks as major learning moments this year,” senior outside hitter Sophie Hoke said. “We’ve grown a lot as a team and as individuals confidence-wise; we [also work together] a lot better than we have in the past.”

Keeney said one of the biggest areas of improvement for the team is their confidence and competitiveness. 

“We lacked confidence last year, so I see a lot of [difference] this year,” Keeney said. “[However,] in the big games I’m still seeing that lack of confidence. Off the court, we do some things to reiterate that they have control and they are stronger than they think they are. I want them to understand that they are so much better than what they play some nights.”

Coming into this season, the team had not beat Marcus since 2017. The team beat Marcus 2-0 in a tournament on Aug. 26 in Austin, and the Marauders are currently 6th in the district with a score of 1-5 in districts.

“The attitude and energy [is most different from last year],” junior middle Hailey Kersetter said. “Everyone wants to win and fight every game. There’s just games where we don’t show up [mentally] and it can be hard to get out of [those habits] where we’re down on ourselves, but we all have each other.”

Practices are from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. every day, except for Sundays. As the team begins playing more district games, Keeny said one of her goals is to create a closer team bond. 

“I don’t think one player makes a team,” Keeney said. “[This year, the team] gets along really well [and] you don’t see the separatism that you saw last year. That can be hard when they don’t hold each other accountable because they are so close.”