Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
Latin club students pose with their awards from their Junior Classical League state competition this past weekend on April 6th. Eight students from the school’s Latin club participated in events and four advanced to nationals.
Latin club students place at state convention
Gavin Lambert, Reporter • April 12, 2024

Latin club students participated in the Junior Classical League (JCL) state competition this past weekend on April 5-7. Eight students from the...

Conan Gray has experimented with different styles of music, and his release of “Found Heaven” on April 5 was his transition to feel-good pop music.
Conan Gray’s “Found Heaven” is revolutionary
Peyton Kuschmeider, Multimedia Editor • April 12, 2024

When I first started listening to Conan Gray back in 2020, I fell in love with his soothing melodies and melancholy lyrics of “Sunset Season”...

Opinion: Video games should downsize their budgets
Alexander Cha, Reporter • April 11, 2024

With the advancement of the video game industry, game development has become increasingly more expensive and time-consuming. Video games budgets...

Weather

• 4 AM
    63 °
  • 5 AM
    62 °
  • 6 AM
    62 °
  • 7 AM
    63 °
  • 8 AM
    64 °
  • 9 AM
    66 °
  • 10 AM
    69 °
  • 11 AM
    72 °
  • 12 PM
    75 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    81 °
  • 4 PM
    81 °
  • 5 PM
    81 °
  • 6 PM
    79 °
  • 7 PM
    77 °
  • 8 PM
    76 °
  • 9 PM
    74 °
  • 10 PM
    73 °
  • 11 PM
    72 °
  • 12 AM
    71 °
  • 1 AM
    70 °
  • 2 AM
    69 °
  • 3 AM
    68 °
  • 4 AM
    67 °
April 14
82°/ 62°
Sunny
April 15
80°/ 65°
Patchy rain nearby
April 16
84°/ 66°
Patchy rain nearby
Print Edition

Bent Tree to hold Daddy-Daughter Dance Feb. 24

Photo via Andrew Withers
Fathers and daughters are getting professional photos from the photographers. There will also be a photo booth area with props along with games, food and a dance in the large gymnasium.

The 17th annual Daddy-Daughter Dance presented by the Carrollton Police Officer Association at Bent Tree Bible Fellowship Church is on Feb. 24 from 6-9 p.m. Officer Cole Langston started the event 17 years ago and was inspired by the City of Frisco’s Daddy-Daughter Dance.

“My main [goal] was to create an opportunity and a memory for dads and daughters to connect,” Langston said. “Research shows that the father-daughter relationship is a critical one for a young lady. It sets her up for every other relationship she’ll ever have in her life with a man.”

Tickets can be preordered for $35 per duo  – $15 extra for more than one daughter – or purchased at the event for $55 and $25 for each additional daughter. All fathers in the area with young daughters – ages 3-years-old to 18-years-old – are encouraged to attend the dance. 

“[We created the event] to outreach to the community and have an event for fathers and daughters to get together and have a fun time,” president of Carrollton Police Officer Association Andrew Withers said. “It’s fun to help run it [and] organize it. It’s a lot of work, but it’s really rewarding.”

There will be approximately 120 volunteers at the event. Mothers and sons are unable to attend the event, but can volunteer. Along with them, there will be National Honor Society and Young Men Service League members in attendance to help as well. Junior Cooper Langston is Cole’s son and has been working the event with him since he was 3 years old. He said he enjoys getting to shadow his father and help run the event. 

“I get to see [my father] lead in action, and it’s a cool feeling to live with a man who has done so much for the community,” Cooper said. “I feel very fortunate to shadow him and learn from him and how he organizes the event. Without him, it would be impossible.”

Chick-Fil-A will cater the event, providing a packaged meal – including an original chicken sandwich, waffle potato chips and a can of soda – for $11.25. However, food can be purchased individually as well. 

“[I want] the community to take part and enjoy their time,” Withers said. “It gives all us officers a chance to engage in the community in a way we don’t always get to engage in.”

A mini-rose corsage is available to purchase online for $25 and men’s boutonnieres for $10 beforehand or at the event. Other activities include professional portraits, cartoon watching, a photo booth and prize drawings. 

“I think [fathers and daughters] will create an everlasting memory,” Cooper said. “I have a sister of my own and she can attest that the memories that she made with my father at the event are just incredible. It’s a great time for fathers and daughters to go hang out; it’s a real bonding moment.”

Before COVID-19, the event would hit around 1,700 people, and now it is around 1,000 people. Langston said the goal this year is to increase the amount of community members attending. 

“We’re really wanting to grow the event,” Langston said. “We try to improve it every year and just provide a really quality product for a good price, for our community.”