Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
Latin club students pose with their awards from their Junior Classical League state competition this past weekend on April 6th. Eight students from the school’s Latin club participated in events and four advanced to nationals.
Latin club students place at state convention
Gavin Lambert, Reporter • April 12, 2024

Latin club students participated in the Junior Classical League (JCL) state competition this past weekend on April 5-7. Eight students from the...

Conan Gray has experimented with different styles of music, and his release of “Found Heaven” on April 5 was his transition to feel-good pop music.
Conan Gray’s “Found Heaven” is revolutionary
Peyton Kuschmeider, Multimedia Editor • April 12, 2024

When I first started listening to Conan Gray back in 2020, I fell in love with his soothing melodies and melancholy lyrics of “Sunset Season”...

Opinion: Video games should downsize their budgets
Alexander Cha, Reporter • April 11, 2024

With the advancement of the video game industry, game development has become increasingly more expensive and time-consuming. Video games budgets...

Weather

• 4 AM
    63 °
  • 5 AM
    62 °
  • 6 AM
    62 °
  • 7 AM
    63 °
  • 8 AM
    64 °
  • 9 AM
    66 °
  • 10 AM
    69 °
  • 11 AM
    72 °
  • 12 PM
    75 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    81 °
  • 4 PM
    81 °
  • 5 PM
    81 °
  • 6 PM
    79 °
  • 7 PM
    77 °
  • 8 PM
    76 °
  • 9 PM
    74 °
  • 10 PM
    73 °
  • 11 PM
    72 °
  • 12 AM
    71 °
  • 1 AM
    70 °
  • 2 AM
    69 °
  • 3 AM
    68 °
  • 4 AM
    67 °
April 14
82°/ 62°
Sunny
April 15
80°/ 65°
Patchy rain nearby
April 16
84°/ 66°
Patchy rain nearby
Print Edition

Community baseball team conducts shoe drive

Several+donated+shoes+lay+across+the+floor%2C+ready+to+be+bundled+and+shipped+out+to+developing+countries.+The+Desperados+started+a+shoe+drive+to+collect+money+for+its+upcoming+baseball+tournament+in+South+Carolina+June+21-27.+
Provided by The Desperados
Several donated shoes lay across the floor, ready to be bundled and shipped out to developing countries. The Desperados started a shoe drive to collect money for its upcoming baseball tournament in South Carolina June 21-27.

The Desperados, a community baseball team, is conducting a shoe drive for developing countries, to help raise funds for an upcoming tournament in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, on June 21-27. 

“I didn’t think of all this when it started, it was just an idea,” O’Brien, who started the drive, said. “It has helped us raise money, which is good for us, but [it also] helps people in other countries who might not have an opportunity to create a business – to create an income.”

The Desperados is an AAA 13 club baseball team based in Lewisville. They have been selected to participate in the Youth Baseball Organization’s tournament in Myrtle Beach this summer. Head coach Joshua Briscoe has been coaching the team since 2022 and said this opportunity is important because it allows the team to play against teams all around the country. 

“It’s important to learn how to handle both the responsibilities of being an athlete and the responsibilities of making sure you have everything you need,” Briscoe said. “[The fundraiser] will help make the event accessible to the full team, not just the ones that are more financially well-off.”

To make the cost lower for each family, the team is working with Funds2go for the shoe drive. The criteria for the shoes is that they’re gently used, have no mold or holes and can’t be skates. The team has collected over 2,500 pairs of shoes so far. 

“We will be traveling to [other] locations to help showcase their talent in front of college coaches,” Briscoe said. “This [trip] will allow [the players] to experience that without the pressure of a scholarship on the line. In return, it should help them be more confident when that time comes.”

The deadline to donate shoes to the team is April 10. O’Brien said the goal is not only to raise enough money for every member, but to also support small businesses. 

“The initial goal was at least 2,500 pairs of shoes because that’s $1,000, but the more we collect, the more money we make,” O’Brien said. “The other thing is the shoes are getting recycled, [so] they’re not getting thrown away – they’re getting used somewhere else.”