Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
The Irving Convention Center will hold its 10th annual North Texas Teen Book Festival on Apr. 27 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Irving Convention Center to hold North Texas Teen Book Festival Apr. 27
Andrew John, Reporter • April 26, 2024

The Irving Convention Center will hold the North Texas Teen Book Festival (NTTBF) on Apr. 27 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. It will be the 10th annual...

On release day, two hours following the release of the album, ‘THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT: THE ANTHOLOGY’ was released. This album is an amazing continuation of the first 16 tracks.
Era's (Saahir's Version): TTPD: THE ANTHOLOGY
Saahir Mawani, Design Editor • April 26, 2024

Since the announcement of “THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT,” an unexplained symbol has been used for promotion: ✌️. Initiated by Swift...

The varsity color guard team poses for the photo after finishing first
at finals for the North Texas Colorguard association. Students will help serve food to VIP guests and perform the show at the end of the gala.
Color guard to hold gala April 26
Mie Bakuya, Reporter • April 26, 2024

The color guard team will hold its first gala in the cafeteria at the freshman campus at 6:30 p.m. on April 26. There will be musical ensembles,...

Weather

• 4 AM
    71 °
  • 5 AM
    70 °
  • 6 AM
    67 °
  • 7 AM
    66 °
  • 8 AM
    66 °
  • 9 AM
    67 °
  • 10 AM
    69 °
  • 11 AM
    70 °
  • 12 PM
    72 °
  • 1 PM
    74 °
  • 2 PM
    76 °
  • 3 PM
    78 °
  • 4 PM
    80 °
  • 5 PM
    80 °
  • 6 PM
    79 °
  • 7 PM
    76 °
  • 8 PM
    73 °
  • 9 PM
    71 °
  • 10 PM
    70 °
  • 11 PM
    69 °
  • 12 AM
    68 °
  • 1 AM
    67 °
  • 2 AM
    67 °
  • 3 AM
    66 °
  • 4 AM
    65 °
April 28
81°/ 64°
Moderate rain
April 29
86°/ 63°
Sunny
April 30
81°/ 69°
Patchy rain nearby
Print Edition

Opinion: The only child left in the house

Lily Andersson
I grew up with siblings who are significantly older than me, and the special bond between us gave me a unique upbringing and affects who I am today as a person.

The usual story of siblings goes as follows: they play together when they’re young, annoy each other as kids, hate each other as teens and are friendly when they’re adults.

However, the story changes when siblings have a significant age gap. I have two older siblings: my sister who is six years older than me and my brother who is 10 years older than me.

My siblings only have a three and a half year age gap, so they followed the “usual story,” and fought when they were young. However, they couldn’t fight with me. Try to imagine a 14-year-old and a 4-year-old wrestling; it’s no question who would win. Never having competition when I was a kid made me not want to compete with others when I grew up. Whether it was volleyball, spelling bees or band, I quit because I never learned from my siblings to like competition.

Instead of fighting, I copied everything they did — they’re my role models, after all. I’m right-handed, but I hold a knife with my left hand because I copied my left-handed sister. I would try to mimic all of the little grown-up things my siblings did and said, accelerating my maturity at a younger age than normal.

Even though the age gap was obvious, I still had difficulty understanding just how old my siblings were when I was little. In fifth grade, I was excited to graduate elementary school and finally be in the “big kids school” with my sister. I was disappointed when sixth grade came and she had just graduated high school.

Both of my parents have full time jobs, so my sister and I ended up spending lots of time together. She helped me with homework, bought me dinner and we formed a close bond that we still have today. When my sister moved out for college, I was saddened and missed my older sister for five years.

Having adult siblings who are working and in college became lonely after a while. 

I’m not an only child, but I was the only child.

Even all of my cousins who live in the U.S. are older than me. I’ve never been good at small talk, so at family gatherings, I liked to sit by my siblings and talk with them to our cousins. Now, I usually sit in silence and listen to everyone talk to each other.

The age gap with my whole family drew me to my best friends: they were the first people in my life who were around my age who I had similar interests to. We play games every night, talk every day and know everything about each other. I love my friends with my whole heart, but nothing can replace a bond between siblings.

Though we’re different in many ways, I’m glad to have grown up with such loving and annoyingly protective older siblings. They made me who I am today, and will continue to be my role models into my own adulthood.