Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
Latin club students pose with their awards from their Junior Classical League state competition this past weekend on April 6th. Eight students from the school’s Latin club participated in events and four advanced to nationals.
Latin club students place at state convention
Gavin Lambert, Reporter • April 12, 2024

Latin club students participated in the Junior Classical League (JCL) state competition this past weekend on April 5-7. Eight students from the...

Conan Gray has experimented with different styles of music, and his release of “Found Heaven” on April 5 was his transition to feel-good pop music.
Conan Gray’s “Found Heaven” is revolutionary
Peyton Kuschmeider, Multimedia Editor • April 12, 2024

When I first started listening to Conan Gray back in 2020, I fell in love with his soothing melodies and melancholy lyrics of “Sunset Season”...

Opinion: Video games should downsize their budgets
Alexander Cha, Reporter • April 11, 2024

With the advancement of the video game industry, game development has become increasingly more expensive and time-consuming. Video games budgets...

Weather

• 3 AM
    64 °
  • 4 AM
    63 °
  • 5 AM
    62 °
  • 6 AM
    62 °
  • 7 AM
    63 °
  • 8 AM
    64 °
  • 9 AM
    66 °
  • 10 AM
    69 °
  • 11 AM
    72 °
  • 12 PM
    75 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    81 °
  • 4 PM
    81 °
  • 5 PM
    81 °
  • 6 PM
    79 °
  • 7 PM
    77 °
  • 8 PM
    76 °
  • 9 PM
    74 °
  • 10 PM
    73 °
  • 11 PM
    72 °
  • 12 AM
    71 °
  • 1 AM
    70 °
  • 2 AM
    69 °
  • 3 AM
    68 °
April 14
82°/ 62°
Sunny
April 15
80°/ 65°
Patchy rain nearby
April 16
84°/ 66°
Patchy rain nearby
Print Edition

Opinion: Price over prestige

Prestigious colleges aren’t always the better option
When+researching+colleges%2C+I+always+look+up+their+acceptance+rate.+I%E2%80%99ve+defined+others+and+myself+by+a+percentage.+I+realize+now+that+only+I+have+the+ability+to+shape+my+future%2C+not+the+percentage+on+a+screen.+
Olivia Evans
When researching colleges, I always look up their acceptance rate. I’ve defined others and myself by a percentage. I realize now that only I have the ability to shape my future, not the percentage on a screen.

I’ve always dreamed of being a doctor. 

Ever since my uncle got into a golf-carting accident the summer going into my sophomore year, my desire to give families hope in a time of uncertainty has only grown. I aspire to be like the medical professionals who saved my uncle, coming to his rescue, despite him coding several times. 

When applying to colleges, I looked for Research One (R1) universities. Schools that are considered R1 have distinct technology and research opportunities for science majors. If I wanted to become the best doctor I can be, I knew I needed to start on the right foot and apply for academically rigorous schools.

Now, with acceptances rolling in, I’ve faced a dilemma: going to a more prestigious school or a cheaper alternative. 

In the long run, a cheaper university can set me up for financial success in the future. The less pricey undergraduate school I attend, the less student debt I can accumulate. On the other hand, a more prestigious school will have a name that carries past graduation — a name everyone knows. I can receive unique offers for graduate school simply because of a college’s name and reputation. 

I want to be like my peers and commit to the more glorious, brag-worthy schools, but these schools often have higher tuition rates with a lot of them being out of state. I’ve worked my entire life toward my goal of attending a “good” college, and it’s being overshadowed simply because of tuition cost. 

However, higher acceptance rates carry a stigma. They are seen as easy to get into, not academically challenging and “bad” schools. A college’s acceptance rate dictates the worth of every individual who decides to attend the school; it doesn’t matter if they’re smart or genuinely enjoy the campus. It only seems that they’re going to an “easy” school. 

I can’t lie and say I’ve never succumbed to these allegations. Being in Advanced Placement classes, I feel pressured to prove my academic ability.  My classmates are racking in Ivy League acceptance, one after another. I feel confident I could get into these harder schools, but not that I could afford the high tuition rates. 

However, after visiting several college campuses, I’ve realized how despite the percentage on a screen, the more prestigious school isn’t always the best option. 

Whether or not I go to an “easy” school, I have the ability to set myself up for financial success in the long run. Because of my goal to attend medical school, the cheaper my tuition is at an undergraduate university, the more money I can save toward a new car or my first house. 

A school’s acceptance rate, scores or requirements don’t define a person’s worth. While it’s fun to brag about your school, academic ability isn’t defined by where a student goes to college. Yes, a college can shape my thinking or make getting connections easier, but, at the end of the day only I have the ability to dictate my success; not a percentage on the screen.