Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
The team pats center fielder Alyssa Sneed’s helmet as she touches home plate in the top of the third inning of game three against McKinney. Sneed brought in three runs for the team.
Photo Gallery: Softball bi-district playoffs 4/26
Caleb Wright, Sports editor • April 29, 2024

The softball team played its second and third bi-district playoff games against McKinney on April 26, following a 3-2 win on April 25. The Lady...

DECA went to the State Career Development Conference (CDC) in Houston with 89 members. They came back with 31 ICDC qualifiers, eight teams among them. The Hebron chapter is competing from April 27 to April 30, in Anaheim, California, in 13 categories. 

(Photos via Brihati Krishna (top left), Divya Bapanapalli (top right), Amy Ngo (bottom left) and Cyrus Thomas (bottom right)
ICDuoC
Saahir Mawani, Design Editor • April 29, 2024

A photo of my dad and his coworkers, including his friend who died in a motorcycle accident is framed in a motorcycle chain. Accompanied with it, is an angel that I keep on the sun visor of my car with the words, “Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.”
Opinion: Think twice
Peyton Kuschmeider, Multimedia Editor • April 29, 2024

I’ll never forget that day. It was Christmas, and it was the first time I saw my dad really cry. After hours of silence and confusion,...

Weather

• 7 PM
    77 °
  • 8 PM
    74 °
  • 9 PM
    72 °
  • 10 PM
    70 °
  • 11 PM
    69 °
  • 12 AM
    68 °
  • 1 AM
    67 °
  • 2 AM
    67 °
  • 3 AM
    66 °
  • 4 AM
    65 °
  • 5 AM
    65 °
  • 6 AM
    64 °
  • 7 AM
    65 °
  • 8 AM
    67 °
  • 9 AM
    70 °
  • 10 AM
    73 °
  • 11 AM
    76 °
  • 12 PM
    78 °
  • 1 PM
    81 °
  • 2 PM
    82 °
  • 3 PM
    83 °
  • 4 PM
    83 °
  • 5 PM
    83 °
  • 6 PM
    81 °
  • 7 PM
    78 °
April 29
82°/ 63°
Patchy rain nearby
April 30
85°/ 64°
Sunny
May 1
81°/ 69°
Patchy rain nearby
Print Edition

Opinion: Electric vehicles aren’t worth it

Andrew John
Although new electric vehicles are luxurious, they do not deliver on their promises to be more eco-friendly and safer for the consumer.

In today’s car world, electric vehicles (EVs) are “the next big thing” for a more eco-friendly and safer ride, but not everyone is sold on their safety. Some people worry they are not as durable as regular cars, pointing to concerns about batteries, self-driving tech and bodywork. I am inclined to agree. 

One big worry is the EV batteries. Although there are no emissions released by the car, the lithium batteries are just as unsafe. With so many complicated steps to owning a Tesla, there are bound to be problems. In September, 2021, a Tesla exploded after being involved in a crash with both the driver and the passenger passing away. The vehicle battery exploded on impact and caught on fire. Luckily, the firefighters stopped the fire before it got worse but due to the lithium ion battery, the fire reignited before it was finally put out.

The self-driving aspect is not road ready, making it unsafe as well. Although I agree that it is impressive that they can drive through some roads, they do not account for many outside complications. They have a path and follow it. EVs can’t see people all the time and miss debris and potholes that can harm the car. It is cool and very futuristic, but EVs don’t account for the most important thing — human error. 

The actual bodywork of the vehicles are even more disappointing. So many people have complained about the Grand Canyon-sized panel gaps of the Tesla, the unreliable technology of almost all EVs and the fake luxury of expensive cars. I have been in a few EVs and I can confirm that there are huge gaps between panels. Motortrend and Marques Brownlee both posted reviews over electric vehicles, the Lucid air and the Fisker Ocean. One of the main problems other than the actual technology or driving, would be the shoddy bodywork. By adding so many edges instead of curves, the manufacturers have so many more intricacies to work with, in which they don’t even do it right.

Another, slightly less important thing, would be the design. The minimalist design is one of the worst things I have ever seen. There is nothing wrong with minimalism, but I never understood why people like Tesla interiors. It is so impractical, with no speedometer, gear shifter nor anything in front of them. Just a screen and a wheel. 

Yes, EVs do not release any emissions, but if people care that much about emissions, they can go ride a bike or walk. Electric vehicles are actually just as destructive to the environment due to the lithium ion batteries. Due to them being larger and heavier, they wear out brakes and tires faster, both releasing harmful chemicals made from the brake dust and the tires respectively. In the UK, they even have a name for the sickness caused by brake dust and tire particles — London throat.

If people really cared about the environment, measures would be made to prevent deforestation, water pollution and ocean acidification. But, since electric vehicles have become a misleading icon for better alternatives than normal cars, people believe that they are better for the environment. In reality, they are not.

2
View Comments (2)