Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
Latin club students pose with their awards from their Junior Classical League state competition this past weekend on April 6th. Eight students from the school’s Latin club participated in events and four advanced to nationals.
Latin club students place at state convention
Gavin Lambert, Reporter • April 12, 2024

Latin club students participated in the Junior Classical League (JCL) state competition this past weekend on April 5-7. Eight students from the...

Conan Gray has experimented with different styles of music, and his release of “Found Heaven” on April 5 was his transition to feel-good pop music.
Conan Gray’s “Found Heaven” is revolutionary
Peyton Kuschmeider, Multimedia Editor • April 12, 2024

When I first started listening to Conan Gray back in 2020, I fell in love with his soothing melodies and melancholy lyrics of “Sunset Season”...

Opinion: Video games should downsize their budgets
Alexander Cha, Reporter • April 11, 2024

With the advancement of the video game industry, game development has become increasingly more expensive and time-consuming. Video games budgets...

Weather

• 3 AM
    64 °
  • 4 AM
    63 °
  • 5 AM
    62 °
  • 6 AM
    62 °
  • 7 AM
    63 °
  • 8 AM
    64 °
  • 9 AM
    66 °
  • 10 AM
    69 °
  • 11 AM
    72 °
  • 12 PM
    75 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    81 °
  • 4 PM
    81 °
  • 5 PM
    81 °
  • 6 PM
    79 °
  • 7 PM
    77 °
  • 8 PM
    76 °
  • 9 PM
    74 °
  • 10 PM
    73 °
  • 11 PM
    72 °
  • 12 AM
    71 °
  • 1 AM
    70 °
  • 2 AM
    69 °
  • 3 AM
    68 °
April 14
82°/ 62°
Sunny
April 15
80°/ 65°
Patchy rain nearby
April 16
84°/ 66°
Patchy rain nearby
Print Edition

Boys soccer to compete against Marcus Feb. 20

Felipe Castro
A shot finds its way to the net in a game against Cedar Park on Jan. 12. On top of being first place, the Hawks lead the district in goals scored with 16.

The boys soccer team will play its seventh district game against Marcus at the Marcus Marauder Stadium Feb. 20 at 7:30 p.m.

“Marcus is one of our biggest rivals,” fullback Kyle Simpson said. “We’ve always kind of had this head-to-head hatred for each other. We beat them last year when we played them away and took pictures on their ‘M’. It was disrespectful, but it’s the energy that goes into the game from both sides.”

The two teams clashed already this season with the Hawks drawing 1-1. The team hopes to go further and win outright.

“Going into the first time we played them, it was tough, but we had a little upset,” Simpson said. “They’re a very strong team and a strong program. Winning would definitely bring our spirits up. It’s probably one of our most hyped games, especially being the first game of the second half of the season. We’re all going to have pretty high energy.”

Winning this game could decide the district season. With the Hawks being only one win ahead of the three teams below them in the rankings, a win would keep their position in first place for the time being.

“Within Texas, Marcus is viewed as a premier location,” head coach Matthew Zimmerman said. “[They are] one of the top five or 10 recognizable boys teams in this whole state of Texas. And when you’re talking about the sheer size of Texas and the amount of teams, [it’s] pretty incredible that they’re that well-known.”

Zimmerman said he hopes the team can use the high tension between the teams to their favor.

“It can light a fire in you,” Zimmerman said. “Playing with emotion and having that fire is a positive. Then there’s lashing out, brawls, fist fights or a lot of verbal disputes. I think that’s obviously the wrong way to exhibit that kind of emotion, but I don’t think emotion as a whole is bad when it comes to competition in general.”

The team currently has a record of five wins, one loss and one draw. A win for the Hawks could set the tone for not only the district run but for a statewide run as well.

“[The team is] having a lot of success,” Zimmerman said. “[Marcus is] going to be extremely up for this game because we’re in first place and they know they want to be able to tie us. But this game is also going to be huge because if they end up winning, whoever wins this game is going to have the tiebreaker over the other person.”