Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
DECA went to the State Career Development Conference (CDC) in Houston with 89 members. They came back with 31 ICDC qualifiers, eight teams among them. The Hebron chapter is competing from April 27 to April 30, in Anaheim, California, in 13 categories. 

(Photos via Brihati Krishna (top left), Divya Bapanapalli (top right), Amy Ngo (bottom left) and Cyrus Thomas (bottom right)
ICDuoC
Saahir Mawani, Design Editor • April 29, 2024

A photo of my dad and his coworkers, including his friend who died in a motorcycle accident is framed in a motorcycle chain. Accompanied with it, is an angel that I keep on the sun visor of my car with the words, “Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.”
Opinion: Think twice
Peyton Kuschmeider, Multimedia Editor • April 29, 2024

I’ll never forget that day. It was Christmas, and it was the first time I saw my dad really cry. After hours of silence and confusion,...

The Irving Convention Center will hold its 10th annual North Texas Teen Book Festival on Apr. 27 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Irving Convention Center to hold North Texas Teen Book Festival Apr. 27
Andrew John, Reporter • April 26, 2024

The Irving Convention Center will hold the North Texas Teen Book Festival (NTTBF) on Apr. 27 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. It will be the 10th annual...

Weather

• 3 PM
    81 °
  • 4 PM
    81 °
  • 5 PM
    81 °
  • 6 PM
    80 °
  • 7 PM
    77 °
  • 8 PM
    74 °
  • 9 PM
    72 °
  • 10 PM
    70 °
  • 11 PM
    69 °
  • 12 AM
    68 °
  • 1 AM
    67 °
  • 2 AM
    67 °
  • 3 AM
    66 °
  • 4 AM
    65 °
  • 5 AM
    65 °
  • 6 AM
    64 °
  • 7 AM
    65 °
  • 8 AM
    67 °
  • 9 AM
    70 °
  • 10 AM
    73 °
  • 11 AM
    76 °
  • 12 PM
    78 °
  • 1 PM
    81 °
  • 2 PM
    82 °
  • 3 PM
    83 °
April 29
82°/ 63°
Patchy rain nearby
April 30
84°/ 64°
Patchy rain nearby
May 1
83°/ 67°
Moderate rain
Print Edition

Opinion: Student parking lot traffic has gotten too bad

Krista Fleming
Students try to navigate through traffic to leave school 25 minutes after school ends. The school should assist in making the student parking lot to make it more efficient and safe.

4:00 p.m. 

It was 25 minutes after school got out, and I was still sitting in my car, halfway through the line that snaked around the student parking lot. I anxiously watched the clock. 

4:01 p.m. — 10 cars in front of me. 

4:05 p.m. — six cars. 

4:07 p.m. — four.

Finally, I drove out of the parking lot, away from the school, 36 minutes after the last bell rang. 

This isn’t an issue unique to me; this is a problem that affects everyone who parks in the never-ending student parking lot. To remedy this, the school should find a way to provide more student exits to make it more efficient and safe.

The Hawk Eye surveyed 90 students in a poll. Of those who responded, 46.4% said they have an after-school job and 56% said they get out of the student parking lot later than 4:00 p.m. As a student with a job myself, one of the most stressful parts of my day is racing the clock to make it to my shift on time — an hour and 25 minutes after school gets out. 

A second exit could make this process much quicker. Instead of trying to fit everyone into one line — which has to wait for a safe opening on Charles St. before turning — finding a way to direct half the student traffic in another direction could cut that time in half.

Another exit would also be beneficial to student safety because it may reduce the amount of near-collisions occurring every day. The single line to get out requires cars to properly yield to right-of-ways as six lines merge into one by letting one person in every other car. This method, while incredibly inefficient, would at least be safer if high schoolers weren’t trying to ‘cheat the system’ by pulling up only inches away from the car in front of them to avoid letting someone into the line. 

Desperate to leave, students will play a game of chicken until one car lets the other go in front of them. The cycle repeats, cars brushing closer and closer to each other as the line grows longer, creating an environment way more dangerous than appropriate for a high school campus. 

While efficiency is not always guaranteed when there are so many students trying to get out of the same parking lot every day, this is a problem administration should be aware of and actively attempting to solve. 

An extra 30 minutes a day doesn’t seem like a lot, but it’s something we can never get back.

3
View Comments (3)