Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
Senior Jimmy Sanchez and junior Grant Koch perform a scene during a dress rehearsal of “The Diviners” on April 18. This was the only show strictly performed by theater’s Silver Company this year.
For the applause
Krista Fleming, Managing Editor • May 23, 2024

The stage is dark.  Junior Grant Koch is in the same spot he has been in for what feels like a thousand times, surrounded by cast members...

Head coach Corey Farra watches the seniors get announced during the senior game against Flower Mound April 23. The team lost the game 3-2.
Running home

The phone rang.  Baseball coach Corey Farra was standing in his bedroom, facing a lake, staring at the vibrating phone in his hand. He looked...

AP U.S. History teacher Trey Hooper interacts with his third period humanities students. Hooper has been teaching for ten years and will take a break from teaching at the end of this school year to work in the corporate industry.
More than life
Eyesha Sadiq, Entertainment Editor • May 23, 2024

“What is life?” As the sirens went off and he rushed to help, that was the question circling his mind. As he majored in music, that was...

Weather

• 8 AM
    75 °
  • 9 AM
    77 °
  • 10 AM
    80 °
  • 11 AM
    83 °
  • 12 PM
    86 °
  • 1 PM
    88 °
  • 2 PM
    91 °
  • 3 PM
    92 °
  • 4 PM
    93 °
  • 5 PM
    92 °
  • 6 PM
    89 °
  • 7 PM
    85 °
  • 8 PM
    80 °
  • 9 PM
    77 °
  • 10 PM
    75 °
  • 11 PM
    74 °
  • 12 AM
    72 °
  • 1 AM
    72 °
  • 2 AM
    71 °
  • 3 AM
    71 °
  • 4 AM
    71 °
  • 5 AM
    70 °
  • 6 AM
    71 °
  • 7 AM
    72 °
  • 8 AM
    75 °
May 24
94°/ 72°
Patchy rain nearby
May 25
91°/ 70°
Partly Cloudy
May 26
97°/ 74°
Patchy rain nearby
Print Edition

Opinion: The “basic white girl” mindset is toxic

Krista Fleming
The “basic white girl” mindset creates a culture that changes which “type” of girl is superior by the day, shaming girls for genuine interests and implying that being oneself is something to be detested.

Pumpkin spice lattes. 

Taylor Swift. 

Stanley cups. 

If you like any of these items, regardless of severity or what they mean to you, you instantly become one of the “worst” things a person can be in this generation — “basic.”

Whether it’s a favorite drink, hobby or TV show, society defines certain interests as “too popular” to be well-liked anymore, and criticizes those who enjoy them. If someone walks in with Starbucks or Chick-Fil-A or sports clothing from Lululemon and a messy bun, everyone is quick to call them a “basic white girl.”

This mindset is toxic, cementing the idea that liking something popular makes you “boring” and going against the status quo makes you “quirky.” The far-too-narrow gap of socially acceptable things leaves girls to rid themselves of genuine passions and desires — the things that make them who they are — to fit the society’s expectations. 

Many of these “basic white girls” — who are called this, regardless of their race — buy the latest, “trendiest” item to fit in with everyone else, whether the product is good or bad. To be “basic” is to fit in: it is the default option and therefore unhateable. 

What is even more harmful, however, is the “I’m not like other girls” mindset, which pushes girls to be exactly like other girls: desperate to be different and dislike anything considered popular. This is not something new, either. From the 1950’s “Greaser Girl” to the “Grunge Model” of the ‘80s and ‘90s, this trend has been an ongoing one. In trying to become “quirky,” girls have been pushing away who they are in an attempt to become so “different,” and ironically becoming just like everyone else. 

Not only does trying to fit oneself into a single box force someone to become something they’re not, but it divides society. Girls become either “basic” or a “pick-me,” both extremes looked down upon by the other side. This further division is the most toxic part of the mindset.

The idea of a “basic white girl” creates a culture that changes which “type” of girl is superior by the day, shaming girls for genuine interests and implying that being oneself is something to be detested. What’s more important than “fitting in” is being oneself, whether that means getting a pumpkin spice latte and blaring Taylor Swift or rolling up your sleeves to play football. 

View Comments (3)