Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Hebron High School News Online

Sports Scores
The Irving Convention Center will hold its 10th annual North Texas Teen Book Festival on Apr. 27 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Irving Convention Center to hold North Texas Teen Book Festival Apr. 27
Andrew John, Reporter • April 26, 2024

The Irving Convention Center will hold the North Texas Teen Book Festival (NTTBF) on Apr. 27 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. It will be the 10th annual...

On release day, two hours following the release of the album, ‘THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT: THE ANTHOLOGY’ was released. This album is an amazing continuation of the first 16 tracks.
Era's (Saahir's Version): TTPD: THE ANTHOLOGY
Saahir Mawani, Design Editor • April 26, 2024

Since the announcement of “THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT,” an unexplained symbol has been used for promotion: ✌️. Initiated by Swift...

The varsity color guard team poses for the photo after finishing first
at finals for the North Texas Colorguard association. Students will help serve food to VIP guests and perform the show at the end of the gala.
Color guard to hold gala April 26
Mie Bakuya, Reporter • April 26, 2024

The color guard team will hold its first gala in the cafeteria at the freshman campus at 6:30 p.m. on April 26. There will be musical ensembles,...

Weather

• 10 AM
    72 °
  • 11 AM
    73 °
  • 12 PM
    75 °
  • 1 PM
    78 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    80 °
  • 4 PM
    81 °
  • 5 PM
    80 °
  • 6 PM
    79 °
  • 7 PM
    77 °
  • 8 PM
    76 °
  • 9 PM
    75 °
  • 10 PM
    73 °
  • 11 PM
    73 °
  • 12 AM
    72 °
  • 1 AM
    72 °
  • 2 AM
    71 °
  • 3 AM
    71 °
  • 4 AM
    70 °
  • 5 AM
    69 °
  • 6 AM
    67 °
  • 7 AM
    66 °
  • 8 AM
    66 °
  • 9 AM
    67 °
  • 10 AM
    68 °
April 27
82°/ 69°
Heavy rain
April 28
81°/ 65°
Moderate rain
April 29
88°/ 63°
Sunny
Print Edition

Opinion: Finding life in photography

Peyton Kuschmeider
For most of my teen years, life has been colorless and bland, until I found photography.

When I was younger, everywhere I went was full of life and color in every place I went — but at some point, it faded. 

Life was colorless. 

My surroundings lacked life; the world lost its flavor. The natural joy I had every day disappeared and was replaced with a void of dissatisfaction.

This past April, I went on the journalism department’s annual Austin trip. During the trip, I took photos, not as a photographer, but as an average tourist. On the second day, after going to all of the journalism convention classes, we headed to downtown Austin to explore and enjoy the rest of the day. 

While exploring, I took photos of everywhere I went. One of the last ones I took stuck with me as it looked different, yet oddly satisfying. It was a photo of an H-E-B at night, with the glow of the sign contrasting with the cold of the night. It looked lonely, but in a way, it gave me some sort of odd comfort through the vibrant colors.

One of the last photos I took while practicing photography. It was taken at a small H-E-B in Austin, Texas. (Caleb Wright)

Since then, I have taken countless photos in places I would have never found interesting or appealing. Through editing, I have also been able to bring my perspective from the lens to life. The freedom and creativity I have taking photos is relaxing, and the satisfaction I get when the final product is completed is one of the best rewards as a photographer. Seeing the progression from the raw to fully edited photo gives me the freedom to put my own mark on something seemingly so simple.

Photography has been one of the biggest gifts, but it has also seeped into every aspect of my life. I used to view most tasks as another chore that needed to be done to get through the day. However, taking photos has shown me that performing even the simplest of activities or going to the most simple places can have a sense of joy and meaning. 

One of my most recent photos I have taken. This was taken on the tower in the middle of the Arbor Hills Nature Preserve near sunset. (Caleb Wright)

One of those regular places is the Arbor Hills Nature Preserve that I visit. It has become one of my sources of inspiration with how much it has to offer, from the sparse trails to the view you can get from a tower deep into the main trail. The natural beauty that can be found along the park trails is one of those places that opened my eyes up to the peace in every photo. 

Photography is more than just a hobby — it is a way to bring back the childhood joy that disappeared. It helps me bring back the color that faded away as a teen. It’s one of those special activities that can bring someone anywhere and make every place new and exciting, just like when I was a child.